Written by Robyn T. Braley
I can't believe another Canada Day is near. For many Canadians, July 1st is also the official launch of summer.
Many reading this do not live in Canada. You may have observed that Canadian's aren't usually pushy or loud about being Canadian. However, we feel our patriotism deeply. We just don't always talk about it.
We love our nation and are proud to be Canadians. What moves me the most is listening to the stories of new Canadians – either recent or from decades ago - explaining what it means to be a citizen. It is easy to take for granted the many benefits and blessing offered by our country.As I was thinking about this, I decided to write a short post about what I love about being Canadian. See what you think about my 15 reasons to be vocal Canadians.
- People died so I can speak freely, vote as I wish and write this
- I am free to love and be loved
- Canada is a land of opportunity that rewards entrepreneurs
- I can dream great dreams and make them real
- Our national anthem is singable and emotionally charged
- A rodent is our national symbol
- Education resources, mentors and teaching allow me to grow
- I choose how I worship
- Canada is diverse in culture, people, language, geography, food
- We celebrate foods like poutine and Canadian bacon
- Canadians created Hawaiian Pizza and Ginger Beef
- Maple Leaf pins bring better service when travelling abroad
- People freely give of their time and resources to better their communities
- We have a passion for hockey, our own brand of football and apparently basketball
- We have a cool flag that is immediately recognized around the world.
Finally, we’re just nice people, eh? Happy Canada Day!
What do you think? Do you have other reasons? I want to hear from you. Please comment below.
Robyn T. Braley is a brand specialist, writer, and speaker. He is also a media commentator and Rotarian. Robyn is the President of UniMark Creative which does website design, video production, media services (editorial and advertising), and graphic design. He speaks at business conferences and also blogs about branding.
Email: email@example.com Connect on LinkedIn Follow on Twitter: @RobynTBraley